Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blog 5- Once in a life time

The air was crisp. The sun was shinning bright; rays of sunlight were peeking through the trees. Creating a star like pattern on the ground below. I got a safety class, and as it went on I blocked out the instructor, I looked around at the lines above me and I began to breathe heavily.

We took a short walk where the fun began, and I was the second to go. I watched my dad take of first. He made it look so easy. I slowly walked up, what it seemed like a million stares, and finally reached the top. I was clipped in and all I could hear was my heart beating like a jack-hammer in my ears. I felt a small nudge and I was off.


I looked around and all I could see was the green color of the large plants next to me, they were blending together as I grew faster and faster. I could hear the leaves moving behind me as I rushed by them. I glanced up at the one line holding my life. I tugged on my harness and screamed like there was no tomorrow. My face grew a grin on it, and then the ride had ended. My shaking feet touched the platform and I knew I was safe. But then I suddenly looked down.

My chest was tight and I lost my breath, the sight of the ground 80 feet below me took my breath away. I looked out towards the horizon and I could see lush, green mountains surrounding me. The ocean was not far away, but all I could smell were the trees around me. The rest of my family followed me and then it was my turn again. My heart grew fast as I herd the instructor say 3, I stepped of the platform and the ride had begun again, the air whipping my face, me holding on for dear life. And yet I knew I would be fine.

This repetition continued. Finally I had reached my last leap. My heart was at its normal pace and I was breathing steadily. My dad had gone before me again, and this time the instructor told me to do something crazy! So I did!

I took my leap, and I put all my weight on my back, I suddenly was upside down. I got a head rush and came back up, I was in my mode again, only this time it was a good thing, I had a smile spread across my face. And my heart beat was rapid, and the instructor that caught me on the end of the line could not stop laughing. He was surprised that I did something crazy! It was a once in a life time ride! One thing to always remember.

1 comment:

DJ said...

"they were blending together as I grew faster and faster."

i like how your saying that your growing faster, possibly meaning that time is going by fast? or you cant imagine something is happening. Great job nikki.

The Interview with Simon

Q) What is your opinion about the signal fire?
A) Well, when I first herd the idea from Ralph, I did not know what to think. I had this thought in the back of my head, that something was going to go wrong. And it did after the first try. After we started it up again we had a good fire going. And yet the littleuns’ let it out again, when they went to follow jack. It is getting annoying how jack is always trying to take the leader position from Ralph. But Ralph is sticking it out, and not taking attitude from anyone.

Q) Do you think that you would make a better leader than Ralph?
A) Well I don’t think that I would always have everyone’s best interests. I don’t know if I would even know how to act with everyone yelling at me like they yell at Ralph. When I hold the conch, I feel as if I have all the power and then Ralph steals it back, and I don’t know if I would want to let anyone else have the power if I was the leader. But when jack has the conch he does not give it back, and I think that is how I would react to have all of the power over the hunters and the littleuns’.

Q) Do you believe that you will be rescued?
A) oh, that is a good question, um…you know I am not sure. I mean, this island has to be recorded on some map, somewhere on this earth. But considering that there was a “ship” that went buy, then I am considering that some day a while from now, yes we will be rescued. All we really have to do it just keep that fire going, and make sure that we have plenty of smoke for what ever will be rescuing us to see.

Q) What do you think about the beast? Do you think that there is a chance there is a beast on the island? Also what would you tell the littleuns’?
A) Personally I think that there is definitely a chance of a beast being on the island. We just have to figure out where it lives. And I am thinking that it may very well be in the water, because we have searched all over this island. I think that the littleuns’ have a lot of fear from the thought of the beast. But they really have nothing to be afraid of
.

Q) What is your opinion on the island?
A) Well I like it. It gives me a lot of times to think buy my self. And I don’t have anyone telling me what to do; I just sit around listening to the animals life around me and relax. I really don’t enjoy working a lot, but when someone needs my help. Then I will help them. I just like to be alone, doing my own thing. That’s just me.